What are the benefits of Black Seed/Kalonji?
Kalonji has vary many, varied health benefits, with research adding additional benefits almost by the day. These seeds, however, are seldom taken in their raw form as they could have a very strong interaction with your body. Dosage should always be controlled. Using kalonji should thus be as is prescribed.
Kalonji, for medicinal and other uses, is most often used in oil form. The oil is compressed from the seed. The various strengths of the oil depend on the quality of the plant from which it is extracted.
Some of the many benefits associated with black seed/kalonji oil include:
- Managing asthma by reducing coughing, wheezing, and lung function in people.
- Improving blood sugar levels in people with prediabetes and diabetes.
- Improving cholesterol levels.
- May fight or help prevent different types of cancer, most notably pancreatic cancer.
- May help with various skin conditions, including eczema, psoriasis, and acne.
- May help with digestive issues, stomach disorders, and bloating. It may also reduce the incidence of gas.
- It may help with certain heart conditions and improve cardiovascular function.
- May help address scalp issues and be an aid in promoting hair growth.
- May aid in managing metabolic syndrome.
- May ease the symptoms associated with menopause.
- May increase milk flow in breastfeeding mothers.
- May improve the immune system and support liver function.
- May help manage epilepsy in children.
- May act as a natural painkiller that, together with its antioxidant properties, may address osteoarthritis, back pain, tooth pain, earache, and headache, amongst others.
- May be of aid in healing cuts, bruises, wounds, inflammation, burns, etc.
- May be of aid in weight loss.
- May help stabilize hormones
- May be of aid with regards to memory impairment, mental fatigue, lethargy, and confusion.
- May help treat issues relating to neurotoxicity and neurodegeneration, e.g. Alzheimer’s.
- May be of benefit to those going through opiate addiction withdrawal.
- May be of benefit to those suffering from hypertension.
- May be of benefit to those suffering from depression.
- May help in the treatment of sore throat, tonsils, and bronchitis.
- May help in the treatment of rheumatism and support bone health.
- May help increase sperm count in men.
Please take note, however, that when using kalonji for specific health reasons, it is best to do so under the guidance of a qualified healthcare practitioner.