How to make Hearty Squash Soup with Black Seeds?
This is a hearty winter soup. The addition of the Black Seeds gives it an extra explosion of flavor.
Squash is a nutritionally packed vegetable that is high in vitamins A, B6, and C, as well as fiber, potassium, and magnesium. The addition of chili powder gives your soup some added punch. Chilies and black seeds are known to improve your metabolism and digestive health and fight inflammation and fungal infections. It may also support heart health and reduce your risk of cancer.
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons black seeds
- A pinch of chili powder (or more if you like it spicy)
- 1 medium-sized organic squash, deseeded, peeled, and cut into large chunks
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- A small bunch of roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- To a large pan, add the oil and onion and fry until the color starts showing.
- Add the black seeds and chili powder and fry for about a minute.
- Add the squash, potato, and stock and bring to the boil. It takes about 20 minutes of boiling time for the potato and squash to soften.
- Puree your soup in batches, adding some parsley each time.
- Once all the soup is pureed, reheat again.
By Mary Cadogan